After his recent exhibition at Swinton Park, the Swinton Foundation has commissioned Christopher Hall to paint a picture as an addition to the permanent art collection on display at the Hotel. The painting will hang in the Harewood Suite, one of 31 individually themed rooms, and will be inspired by the house and gardens of nearby Harewood House, Leeds.
Since winning the prestigious Swinton Foundation Prize at New Lights 2013, Christopher has embarked upon a series of works taking inspiration from Swinton Park: the 17th Century country house, the extensive grounds and the wider Swinton Estate.
The Swinton Foundation Prize was sponsored by Swinton Park Hotel, which has hosted a number of contemporary art exhibitions since it opened in 2001.
This prize was inspired by La Colombe d’Or in France, which has a long history of supporting art and artists. Some reports say that artists such as Miro, Matisse, Chagall and many more settled their bills by leaving a painting for the hotel owners, before the artists attained popularity.
Consequently, this prize offered a wonderful package for a professional artist at the beginning of his or her career:
- Two nights full board accommodation for two in exchange for a piece of work inspired by the room the winner stayed in;
- A bespoke programme of unparalleled access to provide either inspiration for the winning artist, or rest and relaxation for the long-suffering friend or partner;
- Exhibition and promotion of the winner’s works to Swinton Park’s clientele;
- Commission-free sale of the winner’s works;
- Publicity for the artist including a page on Swinton Park’s website, production of cards showing one of the artist’s works.